Dreams, Illusions, Bubbles, Shadows

08 February 2006

sentenced.

On the way to school this morning, I saw a middle-aged blind man walking towards my direction. Could he be walking towards the bus stop? A small voice asked. Felt an urge to run up and give him a hand. But my legs hesitated. A second passed. Two. Three, the man made a left turn at the junction, away from the bus-stop. I was still there, unmoved. An indignant voice in my head said, "See? He wasn't coming your way. Don't get all guilt-stricken. Besides, he looks familiar with the roads here."

Turned my head away for the briefest second and from the corner of my eye, the man walks towards me. Again. No, it's two men walking hand in hand. A tall, broad-shouldered man held the blind man protectively on the arm and steered him carefully towards the bus stop. The bus arrived.

I clambered clumsily up the bus and my eyes immediately darted towards the vacant seat at the back. When I raised my head again, from the back of the bus, the man boarded the bus slowly and sat at the designated green seats, his face towards mine, again.

I forced myself to look out of the window, observing blocks of mundane flats with unusual interest. Talking animated to a passenger next to him, the cheerful man probably didn't know across the bus is a person who had watched him made a wrong turn. A coward who sought refuge at a dark corner instead of giving him a hand up the steps of the bus. A person who glanced at the front seat long after alighting.

My heart feels...No, I don't have a heart.

On bent knees, the accused pleads guilty.


0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home