Dreams, Illusions, Bubbles, Shadows

21 January 2005

Serendipity

Browsing through online mag has crawled to my fav-pastime list. And I've found some great mags! Not only are they a pleasure to read, they boost my ego once in a while. Haha..here's an example.

From The Ladies Home Journal:
The Universally Flattering Workout Outfit: A pair of straight-leg or boot-cut workout pants in a dark color and a fitted tank or tee.
Hmm...in that light, I definitely fit into the gym style hippie list. Cheers!

Joke aside, women's mags are not bimbo staple. Women's mag are like crystals. Some speak to you...you recognise them at first sight. Some speak a different tongue...think MarieClaire meets punkgirl. Finding the right mag is like finding a good, old girlfriend for the moments in between.

My adolescent years have revolved around low self esteem. A consequence of my body image. Growing up among reed-thin friends and thinner-than-before twiggies on the tube and fashion spread is a constant challenge. I'm an awkward fit. From the tried-and-tested diet and exercise regime to the orthodox slimming pills and mild eating disorders, I've tried them all. Looking back now, how silly I had been.

While browsing through a Christianity bookstore with a chum some time ago, a book written for kids Low self-esteem caught my attention. I flipped to the first page without much expectation but left the bookstore with restored confidence and a smile. God makes all of us different because He has greater plans for us. He believes our acheievements are beyond our body. Think Simon Birch, the little boy with a bigger-than-life-size heart. Imagine if God has made everyone into perfect Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta-Jones. We feel awkward when we bump into someone who wears the same outfit as us. What more of staring at our mirror images everywhere, everyday of our lives. We're beautiful not of the face we've but of the warm smile we give, the sturdy shoulder our loved ones can always fall back on, the great heart that loves all unconditionally. Given a choice, I want to be a beautiful plain-Jane-next-door rather an ugly and cold diva.

I shared this reflection not in praise of christianity but of life philosophy. I believe in the goodness of manna from heaven. It comes from all ends of the world. All that depends is how willing are we to receive it. The values I have learnt, I keep and share, and hoped to live by these values everyday of my life.

In the crazy life I'm leading, these little things from heaven are like an angel's touch. I feel loved.

We're born beautiful. Make-up and haute couture accentuate our positives and make us even more beautiful. Strong faith and values keep our mind, heart and soul beautiful.

Stumbling upon Barbara Brickner's interview was a godsent gift as well. Please scroll to the next entry to see her photograph. What came to your mind? Another typical hollywood glamour girl?

Yes, you're partially right. She's a catwalk legend. A cover-girl. A diva. And an inspiration to plus-size girls. Brickner is a size 12 plus-size model . Size 12?! I believe you're taking a second long look at her now. I'm not lying. She is a beautiful size 12, and proud of it too.

"I love that young girls are looking at us and are inspired in a way...I love that I can talk about my body with pride now. I love that this job helped my own attitude about size. I love that my daughter will have a chance to love her body, no matter the size, in a way that I didn't have an opportunity to because of our societal views."

"...beauty can come in all sizes. It is a state of mind really. I am so blessed to be able to share my story with people I work with, friends and family, but most importantly it's about these girls. The fact that being a plus model might change a young girl's perception is really the most honorable thing I can do with my accomplishments as a model."

Reading Barbara's story took my breath away and put my mind on a standstill. An identity revolution in motion.

After close to two decades of self-depreciating and self-loathing, I'm proud of my body. I love myself for who I am. I'm beautiful.


0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home