Dreams, Illusions, Bubbles, Shadows

15 April 2006

You know something is not right when...

you read all these in a month's work.

Mathilda was for Christopher but I couldn't resist it. I made that my tea-time snackbook yesterday.

I've to say this about Cloud Atlas - it's by far the prettiest book I've read. Hot pink paperback embossed with exquisite silver designs. I just have to read it. In case you're wondering, this hot number is anything but chick lit.

I'm halfway through Tuesdays with Morrie. It's sitting on my cluttered desk for hours. I shot a wayward glance at it occassionally but that's about it. On one hand, I'm eager to flip open the book but on the other hand, I was too shaken bythe heartwrenching honesty Morrie taught his last lesson.

Before I emptied my pockets on the books, I busted my pathetic account on tragic korean drama series. I sought out the most tragic soap drama from 2005 - Save your last dance for me.

It was my first k-drama after The Winter Sonata in 2002 (which I watched less than 5 episodes). Fans swear by their soggy kleenex that Last Dance is one of the best tearjerker of the year. I rented the set, sat down on the couch and began...smiling wryly to myself. The korean actors and actresses are unrivalled in their art of crying. They cried, and cried, and cried. Everyone on the screen wept their hearts out. Even the bitsy roles are not spared. Tears flowed heart-wrenchingly with dramatic poise. For any indication of the volume of tears shed, R pressed "Fast Forward" at the first sight of a stiffled sob. She finished 4 discs in less than 2 hrs (Each disc is approximately 70 minutes long).

Crying aside, if you look past the plot typical of soap drama, Last Dance is a lovely distraction. The cast looks pretty good. They've good props - Chrysler, Bentley Continental and LG. The background music combines seamlessly with the plot. Unlike the Hollywood productions I'm accustomed with, korean dramas have many scenes in which the characters play out their roles without the aid of speech.

After I got myself riding on the crest of the K-wave, friends recommended a comedy 红豆女之恋.
I regret to say it wasn't as satisfying. In fact far less satisfying. I'm just a sucker for tragedies.


0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home