Dreams, Illusions, Bubbles, Shadows

08 May 2005

Post a Secret


http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

Have you ever cut out stamps from discarded envelopes, paste them on envelopes and pretend they were addressed to you?

Do you keep changing your hairstyles because you can never change who you are?

Do you always feel alone even though you're always surrounded by friends?

Have you ever harboured a secret wish to kill your own parent?

Have you pray everyday for strength to tell your parents you're raped/molested/abused/ smoked/a drug addicted/bullied for 10 whole years?

Are you bearing the pain alone because you do not want to hurt your loved ones?

Do you, have you, are you keeping secrets?

I do. And I'm glad I found this site. It makes me realised how similar everyone is. We all have secrets stashed at the back of the wardrobe; some we wished to hide till we're six feet under, some we wished to be found and be rescued.

Are we that unique, special and irreplaceable? Yes and no. Innately, we share a common core. But as we grow up, we struggle to differentiate ourselves from that core. How often have you go against your parents' wish so you can be different and better than them?

A friend put it aptly, "I spent my lifetime trying to be different from my parents. But now I see myself in them."

It's painful to bury so many secrets within oneself. I had once naively believed I can get away with all the secrets. But I was so wrong and have paid heavily for it. Now I know better and I've learnt ways to dispatch my secrets far away from myself. My blog is one. Though it may read impersonal and to some journalism like, if you can read in between the lines, secret desires, frustration, hope, happiness, shame, fears, pride, lie in every word.

In the old movie "In the mood for Love", there's an ancient piece of wall with holes in it. People whisper their secrets into the holes and sealed up the holes with paper. On the internet, we've PostSecret.

If you're like me, you may love the site as much as I do.

Write a postcard and release that secret to the world. Be free. Be happy. It's an end and a begininng.

Love ,
Michelle


0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home