Dreams, Illusions, Bubbles, Shadows

29 January 2005

Ode to the unsung heroines

I know I should be tucked in bed now but I can't. Read a note from a friend who had left for the states and after writing a reply, I'm really emotional. Let me take in a deep breath before continuing...

She has been a very dear friend through the years. I can't say the same for myself though. My ill-temper is testimony to that. All the more I'm thankful for every good thing that has happened to me. No matter how I've changed outwardly, I'm still the same old milo-addict you knew.

My chum is not the only reason for the ususual sudden emotional outburst on a friday night. Under circumstances that I'll rather wish not happen, I learned of the untold stories behind the marriage of five sisters. Women who have outweathered the decades with their spouse with offspring aplenty. Many would talk about their children with a passionate spark in their eyes. Their maternal love evident even in the clipped tone and the shadows that flicked across their eyes. But few can say the same for their marriage. A marriage of love in their youth that is breaking at the seams. Some are holding together, but barely; while some have sunk.

A woman in her middle age with kids on her plate, torn of a family and hardearned savings. A brave single mother who marched against crashing tides of community ostracism and severance of family ties to bring a child she'd nursed from birth with all the love she has. A resilient woman who knows no limits in providing for her family. A stern, virtuous woman married to a loafer, but raised her children into fighters with a stiff upper lip. A simple woman who met a simple man and live a simple life together.

To the plight of these women, my mum described in four words "nothing they can do". Women will always lose to men without the gift of physical strength and a rich coffer. Are we really that helpless? Looking between the folds, the options they've are few if not non-existent.

Their harrowing tales have convinced me to renew my vow to stay clear of marriage. If I ever sound unsympathetic to your relationship problems, please forgive me. Perhaps it's because I've seen the worst of it that bgr is none but trivia.


0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home